Sunday morning after Thanksgiving company went home I spent several hours looking at videos and topics at Classroom2.0 web site. One of the most interesting videos was a tour of the International Space Station. It's not my subject matter but I found this most fascinating. Several years ago I read the book Off The Planet: Surviving Five Perilous Months Aboard The Space Station MIR, and was hooked. It's written by a medical doctor from Michigan who spent five months on the Mir space station (it's last manned mission). If you haven't read the book I highly recommend it - he's conceited but if you can look past that, it's a fascinating account on life aboard the Mir, problems encountered, and an interesting account on US and Russia relations.
Anyway . . . back to the video. I loved it. It walks you all around the current space station. It's amazing to me that several astronauts from around the world live and work together gather information for scientific study.
I also watched Digital Storytelling video which I didn't find as useful as the communication between followers. I started reading posts that dated back to March 2010 and one link in particular that had story starters and other lesson plan ideas. I spent the next couple of hours just reading all the links associated with this - also bookmarked some on my Delicious account to use later. I ended up finding several site with some good lesson plan ideas on how to teach digital citizenship. I signed up for Digital Citizenship and Creative Content program which provided some well designed lesson plans. I'm excited about reading these plans and developing a project to use in Online B class. This was well worth the time I spent searching today.
More to come - Webinars. I signed up for two CIW Webinar for Tuesday December 7 and Wednesday, November 8. If Alice will arrange for a sub I should be good to go. Topic: Creating a Standards-Compliant Site. I'll post my thoughts on the Webinars later in the month.
Janice, can you link or embed the videos that you watched so anyone that wants to take a look can easily access them? That digital citizenship curriculum is really good...it was made available for free within the last year or so...I think you'll find some really useful things.
ReplyDeleteI often do the same thing...sometimes I find some of the best stuff on accident from linking to what other people in the audience contribute to the presentations. If you need more digital storytelling resources...look in my bookmarks...I have a bunch I've collected too.